The Augarten park in the former Danube wetlands in Vienna’s second district dates back to a seventeenth century complex which over subsequent years was continually adapted by the ruling imperial family. The eighteenth century garden pavilion, an important classical music venue in its day, today houses the factory of the Augarten Porcelain Manufactory, a museum on the history of porcelain making and a restaurant. Now the boarding house and home of the Vienna boys’ choir, the Augarten Palace dates back to a stately home which was acquired by Emperor Joseph II in 1780. The Josephstöckl, Joseph II’s private summer residence, is named after this popular Emperor who loved the Augarten and opened the grounds to the public in 1775. In late 2012 the Vienna Boys’ Choir’s new concert hall MuTh opened in the Augarten. The Baroque buildings combines with state-of-the-art modern architecture to create excellent acoustics, giving the Boys‘ Choir – as well as other youth groups – the perfect venue for concerts, theater and stage performances.
Quelle: Wien Tourismus